Careers and Awards
IHE Health Economics Scholar (Fellowship) Award
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Date of Posting: March 29, 2017
Application Deadline: June 1, 2017, close of business (4 pm MDT)
Start Date: flexible - to be determined once a successful candidate has been identified
Note: This posting may close before the deadline if a successful candidate has been identified.
There is considerable need for greater development in health economics capacity, as well as greater collaboration between health economics researchers and policy makers in Alberta. The Institute of Health Economics (IHE), in partnership with health economists from the Universities of Alberta and Calgary, and Alberta Health, are working collaboratively to create a new fellowship to build such capacity by bringing together aspiring health economists with policy leaders and researchers from academic, non-profit, and governmental sectors. This work is being supported by Alberta Health through the Health Funding and Economics Capacity (HFEC) Grant.
The IHE Scholar Award provides an opportunity for graduate students to gain practice-based experience working on both their own projects of interest and work assigned by a sponsor at Alberta Health and/or IHE. This practice-based experience will be complemented by the mentorship of an academic advisor of the Intern’s choosing from the University of Alberta, a co-supervisor from the Institute of Health Economics, and a sponsor at Alberta Health.
The IHE Fellowship will:
- attract and develop highly skilled research analysts to build advanced capacity in health economics utilization in Alberta;
- engage the scholar in broad practice-based experiences and professional development opportunities under the direction of their U of A mentor, the Institute of Health Economics, and Alberta Health;
- support the scholar in developing research skills under the co-direction of an academic advisor;
- develop and foster skilled health economists by providing training and career development opportunities; and
- advance knowledge in health research and economic evaluation through publications and presentations.
The Institute of Health Economics (IHE) Internship is restricted to applicants with training and/or experience in the areas of health economics theory or practice, applied research, and/or health.
Applicants are required to:
- be attending or planning to attend the University of Alberta;
- be Canadian residents;
- be recent PhDs or MD researchers focusing on health economics, from the Department of Economics, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy, or School of Public Health;
- demonstrate the relevance of the Fellowship to their career goals in the application;
- identify the support of an academic adviser with an academic appointment at an Alberta university;
- their area of research addresses a significant longer term policy issue (not the fire of the day); and,
- present work at IHE Board of Directors’ meeting as well as to Alberta Health and other relevant stakeholders.
- University of Alberta, IHE offices, and/or Alberta Health (to be determined)
IHE is non-profit research organization governed by a Board of directors, of which four represent the Government of Alberta and provincial agencies, eight represent the Universities of Alberta and Calgary, and three represent the innovative pharmaceutical industry. Board members include the Deputy Minister of Health and Wellness and the Deputy Minister of Advanced Education and Technology; the Deans of Medicine at Alberta’s two medical schools, the Dean of Pharmaceutical Sciences, the Vice Presidents of Research for both Universities and the Chief Executive Officer of Alberta Health Services.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for this fellowship.
If the following items are not submitted with your application, it will be considered incomplete:
- Please include a covering letter, an indication of how you intend to use this award (clear indication of research focus area and relevance of award to career goal), and identify a mentor.
- Please include a letter from your mentor indicating their support.
- Please submit a résumé.
- Please include a transcript.
Please email your application package to [email protected] by June 1st, 2017, close of business (4 pm MST).
1200, 10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 3N4
For additional information, please visit the following link: https://capsconnections.ualberta.ca/caplet/Job/Detail/15143?fromsearch=True
Thank you for your interest in this position.
Please note that this posting may close before the deadline if a successful candidate has been identified.