- Chronic Diseases / Disorders
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- Health Economics / Healthcare Costs
- Health Measurement Tools
- Health Policy
- Healthcare Services
- Infectious Diseases
- Maternal and Child Health
- Mental Health
- Quality of Life
Costing of Alternative Interventions for the Treatment of Morbid Obesity
Institute of Health Economics Working Paper WP 06-01.
The purpose of this report is to examine the economic issues associated with LGB. The following analyses were conducted:
- a systematic review of the economic literature on obesity-related interventions, with special attention to the differences between gastric bypass and gastric banding;
- an estimate of the Alberta population who meet the practice guidelines critera for surgical intervention;
- an estimate of the current medical resources use by severely obese persons (BMI of 40 kg/m2 or greater); and
- a costing for persons who have had bariatric surgery in Alberta (none of which are banding procedures).
NOTE: In 2006 the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research HTA unit moved to IHE. Documents produced in and prior to 2006 have different formats; the format was determined by the agency for which the document was produced.
Publication Type: Economic Reports
Year of Publication: 2006
Topics: Chronic Diseases / Disorders, Health Economics / Healthcare Costs, Therapy
Authors: Philip Jacobs, Arto Ohinmaa, Scott Klarenbach, Anderson Chuck, Raj Padwal, Janice Varney, Doug Lier